Wine hates everything but KDE!

Jerry W. Segers, Jr. segers_remove_this_so_its_just_segers at eudoramail.com
Tue Mar 20 18:35:06 CST 2001

OS: freshly updated linux mandrake 7.2 with my 2.4.2 kernel and ALSA
.9 beta2
X: 4.0.2 with up to date helix GNOME for mandrake 7 and KDE (came w/
mandrake)
Wine: 20010305 from source tarball
Program: Starcraft 1.0 full
Symptoms:  Under Gnome (sawfish, icewm, twm, windowmaker all the
same), takes over screen or makes a window (my choice)  displays the
"blizzard" splash screen (no sound) and quits with bitching about not
having a debugger set up

Under raw X with TWM takes over the screen (no choice) and displays a
black screen and ignores the keyboard for everything but

Under KDE, takes over screen or makes a window (my choice) and works
flawlessly except for flakey sound (sometimes it works sometimes it's
silent, sometimes it's choppy and echos)

WTF?  I expected X w/ twm to work the best, and am sad that gnome (my
fav) won't work.  I've read the starcraft under wine faq, and all the
posts from Deja(now google) that had starcraft in them, and none of
them said anything about this.  Questions? comments? insults? random
strings of obscenities? helpful hints?  ALL CAPITAL RTFM
FLAMES?  Newsgroup replies preferred.
                                              -- Jerry