wine.conf

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Fri Mar 23 20:24:39 CST 2001

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Phillip Knight wrote:

> I am sending this request a second time as wine.conf attachment came out
> garbled the first time. This time I have included it in the body of the email.

That was not garbled, it was just base-64 encoded so the lines don't get
folded and to protect special characters from mail software.  It is
clear to anyone who has munpack or a MIME aware mail user agent such as
pine or mutt.

> Perhaps someone can help me with the following problem.
>
> I installed Wine rpm 20001002 on Mandrake 7.2 and then edited wine.conf.
> When I start Wine from /usr/bin directory get this message:
>
> Warning: could not find wine.conf [Drive x] entry for current working
> directory /usr/bin starting in windows directory.

So?  It needs a working directory to start in, and it can't use /usr/bin
because it is not mapped to a windows drive so it is setting the working
directory to /mnt/win_c/windows.  If you don't want the message,

cd /mnt/win_c/windows before starting wine.

> Then it says:
>
> Usage: wine [options]  program_name [arguments]

That is exactly what it means.  program_name is not optional.  Wine runs
windows apps.  You must give it a windows app to run, or it can't do its
job and will try to tell you as best it can how to do yours so it can do
its.

> and then:
>
> gives a host of options which only add to my confusion.
>
> I'll attach my wine.conf file for reference.
>
> Thank you for your assistance.
>
> Phillip Knight.

Yes, that looks about right IIRC that vintage of wine.  It is kind of
old.

Lawson

This message is brought to you by Wine-20010305, junopine-2.0.2,
Juno 2.0.11, and pine-4.10
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.