MS Advanced TS client problems

Timo Kujala tkujala at lut.fi
Tue Mar 27 17:33:23 CST 2001

Hi,

I tried to run advanced terminal server client (or actually it's active/x
component) under wine, but it does not seem to work. :( I also built my own
client with delphi (added the active/x component in it and set the server
and user name properties and called connect-method) and both of these suffer
same problems:

Client starts OK
Clients connects OK and login screens etc are transmitted over the network.
The active/x component's window stays white. The mouse cursor reacts
correctly, but nothing is drawn on screen.

a couple of
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection Critical section 0x408aa170 wait timed
out,
 retrying (60 sec) fs=008f
is printed on screen and application is pretty much hung.

I had to use native oleaut32.dll to get my own version running as it seems
that built-in oleaut32 does not support typelib calls. The microsoft version
does not need oleaut32 (or at least, it does not complain anything..).

I've taken a couple of hundred of megabytes different debugmsg logs and
tried to analyze them, but I couldn't find out why the window stays white.

Any ideas where the problem might be? Any good trace messages which I should
try to locate and then pinpoint the problem?

- and yes, I know that 16-bit old client works just fine
- and yes, there will be people who will cry why advanced client won't work
in the next summer or autumn when m$ releases winxp which supports rdpv5 and
16-bit colors, what 16-bit client can't handle...