Problems Seeing Output From Wine

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Tue Mar 27 23:07:00 CST 2001

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Bruce Lavoie wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm very new to this whole wine app so please stick with me. I have
> installed wine 1.0 from codeweavers and am having mixed success with it,

No you didn't.  There is not yet a wine 1.0.  The current release
available by ftp is Wine-20010326.

> for example: I am able to intall the motorola 56000 software
> developement tools under the ~/.wine/fake_windows/Program Files/
> directory and can actually use the assembler if I explicitly tell wine
> the full path
>
>     wine -- /home/lavoieb/.wine/fake_windows/Program\
> Files/motorola/DSP/dsp/bin/asm56000.exe -A -B foo.asm        (this works
> correctly)
>
> if I don't pass wine the full path (even though I have the assemblers
> path included) it exits with a code 2 and the file is not assembled

Included where?  Wine doesn't find windows executables by the linux
PATH, if that is what you mean.  It should search the path in
~/.wine/config
[wine]
"Path"=
(if your wine is older than 20001222, the config file will be ~/.winerc
instead, or wherever Codeweavers decided to put /usr/local/etc/wine.conf
IIRC).

>     wine asm56000.exe -A -B foo.asm         (does not work, exits with
> code 2 ?)

That sounds like what you think is wine is in fact winelauncher,
a user-friendly shell script that runs wine for you, loses or interprets
the console output, and reports an exit code.

> Also, I cannot see an output from Wine --version , wine exits with
> success but does not show me the version?

I think wine tries, but winelauncher eats it.  Try this:

Script started on Tue Mar 27 23:53:34 2001
[whit at giftie windose]$ file $(which wine)
/usr/local/bin/wine: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
[whit at giftie windose]$ file $(which winelauncher)
/usr/local/bin/winelauncher: Bourne shell script text
[whit at giftie windose]$ exit
exit

If your wine looks like my winelauncher, _maybe_ wine is named wine.bin
and you will have better luck with

wine.bin --version

Or maybe a ps ax from another console will show you what is actually
running when you think you run wine.

Script done on Tue Mar 27 23:54:50 2001

> I'll be grateful for any help,
>
> Bruce

The sources will be available from the following locations:

  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20010326.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.infomagic.com/pub/mirrors/linux/sunsite/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20010326.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/unix/linux/mirrors/sunsite.unc.edu/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20010326.tar.gz
  ftp://orcus.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/Wine/development/Wine-20010326.tar.gz

It should also be available from any other site that mirrors ibiblio.org.
For more download locations, see http://ftpsearch.lycos.com. These
locations also hold pre-built documentation packages in various
formats: wine-doc-html.tar.gz, wine-doc-txt.tar.gz, wine-doc.pdf.gz
and wine-doc.ps.gz.

You can also get the current source directly from the CVS tree. Check
http://www.winehq.com/dev.html for details.

I think all these user-friendly packages are more trouble than they are
worth and wine is best to build from the source, but YMMV.

Lawson

	  >< Microsoft free environment
This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.
---cut here---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.