Program runs, but crashes...

Duane Clark junkmail at junkmail.com
Thu Mar 29 15:44:12 CST 2001

Robert Cooper wrote:

> I'm attempting to get a version of a terminal emulator (Meditech,
> proprietary Esprit105C emulation) running on a Linux box with RedHat
> 6.2 and CodeWeavers Wine 20010305-1.  The program  runs (after asking
> for netapi32.dll and netbios.dll first...copied those from a win98 PC
> with no problems) and then when I start entering the information to
> set up the terminal config, it crashes with the following logfile:
>

> fixme:font:AddFontResourceA ("C:\\Meditech\\T_FONT15.FON"): stub! Read
> the Wine User Guide on how to install this font manually.
> fixme:palette:SetSystemPaletteUse (0458,0001): stub
> err:seh:UnhandledExceptionFilter Couldn't start debugger (winedbg
> 134626096 72) (2)
> Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another
> debugger
>
> I've been looking through the Wine manual and FAQs, and haven't found
> any reference to installing fonts manually.  The only thing I found
> was a paragraph on font aliases and a few references to the X font
> server crashing, but that's it.  I would appreciate any help that can
> be thrown this way!
>
> RobertC
Wine appears to use X fonts, from the X font server, xfs. On Redhat 6.x,
I installed Windoze fonts like this:

Make a directory called /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/winfonts.
Copy the fonts you want from a Windoze installation, likely located in
C:\windows\fonts, into the directory.

 From within the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/winfonts directory,
execute:

# ttmkfdir > fonts.scale
# mkfontdir

Edit /etc/X11/fs/config and add
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/winfonts to the end of the list in the
catalogue section. Then restart the font server :

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs stop
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start

I think at this point you might need to log out and back into your X
session. Now wine should have access to the new fonts.

--
My real email is akamail.com at dclark (or something like that).