What is DGA

Daniel Foesch krach42 at aol.com
Fri Mar 30 15:14:42 CST 2001

>I've seen this Acronym thrown around alot in reference to games.  What is
>it exactly?  Is it good?  How do I use it?

DGA = Direct Graphics Acceleration

Basicly, it allows direct access to the graphics memory, which gives large
speedups to doing certain actions, such as writing pixel maps to the screen,
since you don't have to go through any security levels, and don't get any run
around.  The only problem is that this opens up a huge security hole, since you
have direct access to the video memory, you can do whatever you want to it, and
in order to get DGA, you have to have RW access to /dev/mem   Which IIRC gives
you full access to ALL memory... even stuff that you shouldn't be able to
access from user space...

Daniel "Krach" Foesch