wine releases and Pegasus Mail

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sat Mar 31 01:22:59 CST 2001

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, boyum at mos.com.np wrote:

> On a RedHat 6.2 (with the latest RH updates) I have been using wine
> (compiled from source with ./configure-make depend-make) to run Pegasus
> Mail 3.12c for the last 12-15 months. It has had (and still has) its ups and
> downs.   I am using wine with real Windows, not 'fake'.
>
> Early on Pegasus Mail (PM) crashed when trying to add attachments, but
> slowly things improved, until (and including) release 'wine-20000801',
> when almost everythings seemed to work right (with the *occasional* crash).
>
> >From there on things got worse again. Some releases would not always
> redraw the screen properly, one release would hang when closing the
> POP3 mailbox, and since the last 3 (or so) wine releases wine/PM again
> hangs when trying to add an attachment, or when trying to open an HTML
> email.
>
> With these last releases, before hanging the following message comes up:
> 'Unhandled page fault on read access to 0xdeadbeef at address
> 0xdeadbeef.    Do you want to debug it?' Whether choosing 'yes' or 'no' the
> same message reappears twice, and the hanging occurs after 3rd. response.
>
> I've  tried to find out whether I 	need to compile with special options to add
> debug support, but the './configure --help' list seems to indicate that debug
> support is the default.

It is, but you have to register where to find it in your setup.  See

<wine>/documentation/debugger.sgml  (or the other formats also available
at the wine ftp sites)  Use this to read it if you haven't anything
better:

#!/bin/sh
sed -e 's/<[^<>]*>//g' -e 's/&lt;/</g' -e 's/&gt;/>/g' $1 |less -ni

> Anyway, my question is:  What could I possibly do to remove/remedy the
> cause(s) of the current crashes, short of reverting to the 'wine-20000801'
> release?
>
> Any suggestions received with thanks,
>

> Leiv Boyum

This is just a wild guess, based on nothing more than deadbeef:
remove the native windows shlwapi.dll, and use wine builtins by default.
If you have the current release (Wine-20010326)

[DllOverrides]
"*" = "builtin, so, native"

IIRC, builtin shell[32] + native shlwapi = deadbeef.

Also, get rid of your native windows (or at least run wine without it:-)
If there is one windows dll the app will not be satisfied to run
without, give it that, and only that.  Juno 2 runs with native msvcrt
and riched32.  Juno 4 crashes if native w32scomb.dll is present, but if
w32scomb.dll is removed, juno 4 at least starts up.  It insists on using
tapi to work the modem, so it is not usable, but at least it starts.

Lawson

This message is brought to you by Wine-20010326, junopine-2.0.2,
Juno 2.0.11, and pine-4.10
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.