Problems with cbtplayer

gerard patel nomailthankyoug.patel at wanadoo.fr
Sat Mar 31 06:23:00 CST 2001

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 05:18:06 -0500, Kenton Groombridge
<kgroombr at clds.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>One of the main things I use Wine for is to run a Computer Based
>Training Player (cbtplayer, info found at www.smartforce.com).
>
>It used to work perfect on 20001222 and back several version from that.
>Since the 20010112 release, it has failed.  I reload the 20001222 and am
>back in business.

There are instructions in documentation/bugs on how to search for
the exact time of a regression. It is difficult but  can be a great
help if a more direct approach don't work.

>I posted the zipped debug output for download if anybody that can read
>this (most of it looks Chinese to me) and give me a solution that would
>be great.

Yes it does not look clear. It's not interesting to use
-debugmsg +all; it is drowning information into uninteresting
messages.
At first it's much better to use only -debugmsg +relay
(as clearly stated in the doc).

Then as you have a working Wine version, it's _essential_ to compare
the trace of the working version with the not working one.
Posting 2 (identically) failing traces is not useful.

Finally, you should also setup the debugger. It can provide
a backtrace,  that can also be interesting. Look in
documentation/debugger (here is a short version :
edit the system.reg file in your ~/.wine/config file,
add something like :

[Software\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\AeDebug] 134683384
"Auto"=dword:00000001
"Debugger"="/home/gerard/win/wine/debugger/winedbg %ld %ld"

in the "debugger" line, replace the appropriate part by your own
path to winedbg.

Gerard