Corel Draw 4 can't find fonts

Malte Cornils malte at cornils.net
Sat Mar 31 14:52:14 CST 2001

Anna wrote:
> I now have almost all my Windows programs running fine under codeweavers
> wine 20010112-1 except Corel Draw 4 (16-bit), which seems to work fine
> except it cannot find any fonts except the symbol typeface it ships with.
> I have tried starting it from .../windows/fonts and from its home
> directory but nothing changes its behavior.

It will probably not work. Modern Corel versions don't work at all
since
it requires certain information on the truetype fonts not provided
by WINE -
a solution to this is still some time away. Corel 4 probably doesn't
yet
need this for most of the fonts but for symbol (?). You likely won't
be able
to make this work :-( [1]

However, there *is* Corel DRAW 9! for Linux (based on WINE, BTW,
though not exactly
ultra-stable) and free alternatives are sodipodi from the GNOME
project (already
usable, needs some more polish though) and maybe even killustrator
(and those that
use fig format, like xfig (uggh) and figurine).

> Must I install TT fonts on my Linux system for Corel Draw to find them
> under wine? If so, I will do it, but I would prefer it to find the fonts
> installed under Windows.

If it's just a case of using the Windows' TT fonts... how about
symlinking your Windows
fonts directory to the truetype Linux directory or a subdirectory of
it, then doing the
font magic (generating the scale files etc)? This *should* work.

Erm, I'm not sure I make sense here. If you have questions, just ask
:-)
(and please CC me; while I read this newsgroup, I don't to so *very*
frequently)

CU, Yours Malte #8-)

[1] Caveat: I am not a Wine developer (IANAWD), so I might be
totally wrong :-)