wineserver: /root/.wine/config is not a valid registry file

Ove Kaaven ovehk at ping.uio.no
Thu May 3 11:33:17 CDT 2001

On Thu, 3 May 2001 cacook at freedom.net wrote:

> Do you have valid registry files in $HOME/.wine?  If not run wineinstall or wineconfig. (depending on whose Wine you have)

Please. If you're going to answer posts, follow these guidelines:

1. Know what you're talking about. Wrong advice is worse than no advice.
2. If you don't know what you're talking about but feel like answering
anyway, make it clear that you're only guessing, so nobody mistakes such
answers for authoritative.
3. Quote correctly. Quote only relevant parts, and put your answer
*below* the quoted text, not above, and don't quote everything.

.wine/config is *not* the registry, but it has the same format and uses
the same loader as the registry. Most likely, the .wine/config is empty
and unconfigured, and a configuration must be created.

> > Why I'm not using /etc/wine.conf, /usr/etc/wine.conf or
> > /usr/local/etc/wine.conf?

Because those files are obsolete, deprected, incompatible with the new
registry-style format that .wine/config now uses, and will never be loaded
by recent versions of Wine, right? It's not necessary to say why...