wineserver: /root/.wine/config is not a valid registry file

Ove Kaaven ovehk at ping.uio.no
Thu May 3 12:48:03 CDT 2001

On Thu, 3 May 2001 cacook at freedom.net wrote:

> What a condescending post.

OK. If people are going to take me being nice that way, I'll just go back
to my regular flaming, then.

> It's people like you who remove the joy from learning new software

There's a difference between learning and teaching. What you're obviously
doing is not called learning, but trying to teach others, and incorrect
things at that.

> and pushing the envelope,

I'm not interested in seeing anyone pushing the envelope of social or
technical ineptitude.

> and frighten insecure people..

It's not working, you don't seem frightened away from your cluelessness
yet. I guess you're just not insecure, but then again, people that without
regret speak without knowing what they're talking about, as well as
blithely ignore traditional and well-developed conventions for
communication (like quoting), seldom are, so I'm justified in what I do.

> Please read my answer more carefully, Ove.  You did not understand it.

That answer only had one line (since it wasn't word-wrapped properly), it
was at the top, all of the post was quoted below, and it wasn't a correct
answer. The existence of a registry is totally irrelevant to whether the
config is valid, and there has also never been a "wineconfig". What you
'meant' to say isn't going to excuse you, either... consider, if *I* don't
understand your post, how do you expect a total newbie to understand it
correctly? Improper advice would definitely takes the joy out of learning
new software, wouldn't it?

Now go ahead and be frightened. It may make you a better person; it won't
kill you, so it can only make you stronger.