WINE for Reactos

Ian Schmidt irsman at cfl.rr.com
Mon May 7 10:49:18 CDT 2001

In article <3af67ac3$1_2 at news.bizonline.net>,
Nick J. Date <ndate69 at hotmail.com.NOSPAM> wrote:

>1) Is there already a version of WINE that can run a Win32?

Wine itself doesn't run on Win32.  However, substantial work has been done
with DLL separaration to make sure the various DLLs could at least in
theory be compiled with e.g. cygwin and subbed in for the real MS ones on
a Windows system.  I don't think anyone's actually been crazy enough to
try this yet however.

>2) If not, I'm assuming that I would have to rewrite user32.dll and try to
>incorporate the bitmaps from xfree86 (or a similar project).

If at all possible you probably want to use the Wine code.  USER32 is
large and doesn't always (ever?) operate in the most obvious way, so
recreating all the work that's gone into making Wine's compatible would
really suck.

--
Ian Schmidt - ischmidt [at] cfl [dot] rr [dot] com
WINE Screenshots: http://wine.godmonkey.com/