wine.conf

Ian Collier imc at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 9 19:48:33 CDT 2001

On Wed, 9 May 2001 09:20:42 +0200 (CEST), Ove Kaaven whistled down the
modem and accidentally posted the following words to
comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine:
>The rpms are outside the Wine team's jurisdiction

Of course.  (That just means that the rpm maintainer didn't know about
the wine.conf change either.)  But the README and the manual pages came
straight out of the Wine tarball.

>I don't know any good reason myself, other than that the format changed,
>and Alexandre still hasn't cared enough about multiuser capabilities to
>decide on how a global config is supposed to work with the new format

I'm not sure why the format should be in any way connected with the
file's location (although it would be nice to be able to load two
files: the system default and the user's preferences).  In any case,
the only differences I notice from my old one [20000430] are: (a) the
top line of "WINE REGISTRY Version 2" and (b) quotation marks everywhere
(rather unnecessarily in most cases, but that's just my opinion).

>Not necessarily... for example, most GNOME apps put their configuration
>data under ~/.gnome.

Well GNOME is weird anyway and I don't use it... :-)

>                     In most cases, /etc isn't for configuration, but for
>system defaults, and system defaults are only necessary for multiuser
>configurations.

Most of the stuff in wine.conf is sensible to set in a system default
way (locations of drives, serial and parallel ports, fonts, DllOverrides
which as a user I couldn't give a hoot about, and some obscure things to
do with the x11 driver).  Each user shouldn't need to decide this for
himself.
--
---- Ian Collier : imc at comlab.ox.ac.uk : WWW page below
------ http://users.comlab.ox.ac.uk/ian.collier/imc.shtml