Microsoft "Windows for Linux"

Rolf Magnus ramagnus at zvw.de
Thu May 10 03:37:26 CDT 2001

Alfredo Cole wrote:

> At the risk of being flamed for an OT discussion, I'll tell you. VMware is
> derived from the Plex86 project.

No, you are not flamed for being OT (at least not by me), but for writing
nonsense. VMWare is not derived from plex86. Plex86's old name is
FreeMWare, because it was intened as a free replacement for VMWare. Plex86
is based on bochs.

> It requires that you create a fixed-sized
> file to emmulate a hard disk to install Windows in it. It is also much
> slower on the same hardware.

I'd say it's not that slower, because it only emulates the CPU for
privileged instructions.

> Any way, you can download a demo and give it a try. You may find that it
> fits your needs. Ah, one more thing: You can not run any software that
> accesses hardware directly (That rules out most games).

Which games do such things?