Microsoft "Windows for Linux"

Pablo Saratxaga srtxg at chanae.alphanet.ch
Thu May 10 08:04:47 CDT 2001

Kaixo!
Li Wed, 9 May 2001 19:41:09 +0100,
 Nigel Feltham <nigel.feltham at libertysurf.co.uk> scrîjheut:

 NF> Robert Kent wrote:

> Microsoft should consider producing "Windows for Linux". It could be their
> own version of Wine, but it would be nearly 100% compatible with the
> latest version of Windows. Microsoft could require that users have a
> retail copy of Windows to make this work.

Not only they could, but they can (tehcnically; indeed it is rumored they
have already done, at least partially)

> It's a win-win situation. Linux users could run nearly all of the
> available Windows applications, and Microsoft would still make money
> selling Windows licenses.

Yes, that would be a very smart move; but...

 NF> It would also be the start of the downfall of the company - when users

...there is some truth there.
Doing it would allow MS to get more money, to increase its desktop strenghold
and monopoly, and to beat off some concurrents.
However, they won't do it. Why? In fact, if you look at the recent reactions
and actions from Microsoft, you can see that they aren't that worried about
GNU/Linux in terms of product competition, nor are they much worried about
Linux companies in terms of company competition; but they are very worried
about the free softwar idea in terms of philosophical views competition.

Despite the fact that porting their products to GNU/Linux would give them
more money and marketshare, that would also expose the free software ideas
and philosophy to more people; and that is something MS don't want, because
they fear (and they are right to fear it) that it would undermine their
whole marketing policy (which keypoint is having control on users/customers
and restricting their choices so that what to buy/upgrade and when is decided
by Microsoft rather than the user/customer).

I think Microsoft products for GNU/Linux will start to appear only if/when
Microsoft converts to a free software model.
But with their current philosophy they won't, because it's better
strategically for them to loss potential money and marketshare than
to expand the free software ideas.

--
À bientôt,
Pablo Saratxaga           PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/