New printing concept of wine

Ian Pilcher ian.pilcher at home.com
Tue May 15 16:47:06 CDT 2001

Marcus Roeckrath wrote:

> I own a postscript printer (HP 4M) but there are three entries for
> the PCL-part of the printer in the printcap also. I assigned the
> same ppd file as used for ps part to the wine config file and tried
> to print thru this driver from wine. But the result was not good.

If you use Ghostscript to convert the WINEPS-produced PostScript to
PCL, then the PPD file should work.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't
want to just print to the PostScript queue, however.

> Before this new behaviour of wine I installed the wineps driver as
> described in printing.sgml using psdrv.reg in addition. This worked
> well but now this driver isn´t accessable anymore.

The printers you set up previously should still be accessible (unless
they have the same names as the queues in /etc/printcap?).

> I do not need this old wineps driver and the way to setup the printer
> section without manipulation the registry files is a better idea.

You can't have it both ways.  If you want your printers to be auto-
detected based on the contents of /etc/printcap, you're going to have to
accept the decisions that the autodetection code makes; if you're
willing to do some set up work up front, you can customize the driver
and spooler to do what you want (within the limits of their
functionality, of course).