System Shock 2

Lionel Ulmer bbrox at bbrox.org
Thu May 17 02:41:24 CDT 2001

On Thu, 17 May 2001 01:01:37 GMT, Jason Katz-Brown <jason at katzbrown.com> wrote:
>Wine crashes on startup playing System Shock 2.... is this a known problem?
>is there a fix? I can make a bt if somebody wants one... Thanks a whole
>bunch.

Last time I checked, System Shock 2 tried to write some debug information on
an EGA or Hercules (do not remember) card. This means that it tries to write
to absolute address 0xB000.

As there is nothing in Wine at this address, SS2 crashes. I should try to
update the patch I did last time to map some memory at this address to
prevent the crash (and maybe even to be able to display this debug
information :-) ).

Anyway, it crashed further on due to the copy protection shceme.

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/