wine sound freezes system

Bernhard Mogens Ege bme at miba.auc.dk
Thu May 17 12:42:29 CDT 2001

I was wondering if anything in wine could crash the system? I believe
not, but I have this problem since I upgraded to kernel 2.4.3: I am
running winamp through wine and usually within one song, the system
freezes. At first I suspected my X server (not sure wether AGP is
enabled or not) so I ran wine/winamp on my machine and displayed on a
windows box using xwin32. I had X locally shut down. The system still
crashed. Ok, I did use the 0.9.0beta4 ALSA sound drivers which could
have such errors, so I tried the kernel sound driver instead (ymfpci)
and still remote display. wine/winamp still caused a system
freeze. The I tried a non-wine player, xmms as well as mpg123. Both
played several songs (xmms still playing).

Just when the system freezes, I hear a very short period of harddisk
activity, but nothing is printed on the console.

wine is from april 18. with the Transgamimg patch (may 7.) applied.

I don't know how to continue searching for the bug. Any ideas?

It does look lige a kernel bug to me.

regards,

Bernhard