Personal Ancestral and Wine

John Austin johnaustin47 at hotmail.com
Fri May 18 08:51:01 CDT 2001

Hello,

I am trying to get Personal Ancestral File (which is free Genealogy software
from The Church of Latter Day Saints) to run with wine.

I have tried configuring wine in different ways following different
suggestions in the HOWTOs and Wine user guides with varying results. I have
also tried installing the software using Wine rather than just running the
windows-installed program. Installation fails because Installshield does not
run correctly (however, I note from the FAQs that support for this has not
been included in Wine yet). The best I have managed so far is to get the
software loaded so that I am able to browse an input file. However, the
program crashes when I try to edit an entry.

I know that this description of the problem is vague, however, I would
prefer to be able to provide more useful debugging information under
guidance rather than a whole load of stuff which may just confuse the issue.
I can obviously provide general info such as software versions, blow-by-blow
accounts of the steps I have taken and the various error messages which have
resulted. Unfortunately, I am not a C programmer and I cannot use (wine)dbg
tools. However, I have quite a lot of experience with Unix and I am sure I
could produce whatever is required with suitable instructions.

Is there some knowledgeable person out there who has either managed to get
PAF to run with better results or who feels (s)he is able to help anyway? If
so, I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers for now,

John