Request for moderation: mailing lists winehq

Andreas Mohr zstkyu9001 at sneakemail.com
Sun May 20 08:08:38 CDT 2001

Hello all,

we're seeking people that could do our mailing list moderation, since
we're getting about 15 to 20 spam bounces per day on our mailing lists
(wine-announce, wine-bugs, wine-cvs, wine-devel, wine-patches, wine-users).
Needless to say this amount has increased since we started doing it.

Currently Ove Kaaven and me do the moderation stuff for all the mails
that bounced due to the poster not being subscribed.
(that normally means me, since I seem to get back to the lists faster
than Ove).

So what I did until now is approving all mails of people that do have a valid
issue, and discarding mails of those people (notably spammers) that don't
have a valid issue.
And of course I started sending abuse complaints to the ISPs about the spam
that we receive (at least the spam on wine-devel, since I really don't want
to have even more work by complaining about spam on all of the other
mailing lists, too).

Since I really do have enough things to do otherwise (e.g.: hacking on Wine,
like you might have guessed), I thought that it would be good if we
could find some people that are *not* Wine hackers, but want to help
the project in any way they can.
I believe that one guy per two mailing lists or so would be a good thing.
Or maybe even one person that handles everything completely, but that
is some 20 minutes of work per day (when doing spam hunting), I'd say.

In short, requirements for the job are something like:
- no Wine coder
- good response times (usually handle the list stuff about twice a day),
  so e.g. something like a permanent internet availability are a plus
- something like reliability (pending posts are not cool), which implies
  the 2nd item anyway
- common sense (in order to decide whether a post is ok or not ;)
- optional: spam hunting practice (I could train you here, though)

So if you've got free time to donate and you could do this job for several
months or so, then you're our guy.

In total that would be some 2 or maybe 3 people, I'd say.

Just ask me about details.

Andreas Mohr

--
In case you need to contact me later, my real (non-temporary) address is
(initial first name).(last name)@mailto.de