ICQ2000b

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Tue May 22 07:21:15 CDT 2001

Andreas Mohr <zstkyu9001 at sneakemail.com> writes:

>Jan-Fredrik Braseth <janfbr at grotte.ifi.uio.no> wrote:

>> Have anybody been able to run ICQ2000b with wine? I need
>> this because I'm behand a firewall that won't accept UDP,
>> and as far as I know no ICQ-clone for linux can do only
>> tcp/ip as ICQ2000b
>AFAIK most Linux ICQ clients are Open Source, no ?
>Do you know what *open* means ?

>Get some RFCs for proxy access, start hacking and get it done !

>There have been numerous complaints already that they don't support it,
>so why does nobody ever finally get it and start adding support for it ??

>Open Source software is not only a privilege, it's also a certain
>moral obligation as soon as you use it IMHO.
>Too bad too many people don't (want to) realize this...

>Andreas Mohr

>P.S.: Yes, I started debugging/fixing ICQ2000b, and it nearly works,
>but I really don't see why we'd always want to use "emulated" software
>instead of the "real" (possibly better !) thing...

Actually, from what I've seen, none of the clones are "better then" the real
thing as far as ICQ is concerned ... I haven't asked her for a list, but
there are features of ICQ2000b that my gf uses that don't appear to exist
(or she can't find) in licq, which is why I want to get ICQ2000b working for
her under Wine ...

I use licq myself, and find that it does all that I want, so that is what
I use, but I'd rather not have to reboot my FreeBSD box into Windows
just so that she can use ICQ if I can at all help it :(

Marc G. Fournier                               scrappy at hub.org
Systems Administrator @ hub.org
scrappy@{postgresql|isc}.org                       ICQ#7615664