Rep:Wine Setup

yves-gablin at canal-plus.fr yves-gablin at canal-plus.fr
Wed May 23 02:27:59 CDT 2001

Sorry, I'm new to this group, therefore I couldn't
answer until now.
I think I may have some answers, all related to Wine
source distrib, but they should be adaptable to
CodeWeavers Wine:

1) Don't know...

2) for uninstalling win32 apps, you have to use
"uninstaller". This program is in
./program/uninstaller from the wine source tree. It
is very easy to install actually:
Once in wine sources' root directory, do
$ cd ./program/uninstaller
$ make
$ make install
from now on, you can execute
/usr/local/bin/uninstaller
This program seems to rely on registry entries placed
there by programs you install.

3) As far as I know, it is not possible, but the fact
that they are not in the same window/desktop does not
mean anything as far as inter-application
communication is concerned.

4) Well... a "taskbar" is only the latest mean of
managing win32 apps, that Microsoft has used. Before
that, Unix usually used menus, and Windows used
"progman.exe", which could execute a command line and
manage program groups (remember Windows 3.1 ?)
In Wine, you don't have a taskbar, you just have
"good old" progman, but it's all really the same, as
long as you don't intend to display a native
Windows(tm) StartMenu(tm).
Same as above, once in Wine sources' root directory:
$ cd ./program/progman
$ make
$ make install
then you can execute /usr/local/bin/progman
It is still a little buggy around the edges but it
seems to work.

5) & 6) Can't help you about this one...

Hope this helps.

Yves.