Newbie: IE5.5

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Nov 1 16:21:46 CST 2001

"///o-o\\\\\\" <jamie at jazzynotions.com> wrote:
: howdy,
: i am very new to WINE and have looked around for some docs on howto get
: IE5.5 running, but can't seem to find anything straight foward. i just
: installed RH7.2, and am running Ximian GNOME, without a Windows partition.
: WINE is apparently installed by default with RH7.2. i tried the simple
: 'archnid' (solitaire) program and seemed to work ok. however, i have the
: IE5.5 executable, and am trying to run it with: wine --dll
: commctrl,comctl32=n IEXPLORER.exe (from the directory it's in) but it
: doesn't run.

: can someone possibly point me in the right direction, maybe a HOWTO, so i
: can get this up and running?

There may exist a howto, but I don't know about any. But on a "no windows"
system you must install the programm using the programm supplied setup.exe (
or how it is called). Calling the executable may not be enough, as the setup
may install lots of dlls in <wine>/windows/system and create lots of registry
entries.

However MS native application are always demanding with respect of the API
support needed and Wine may not supply enough support (yet).

Bye

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de