One VERY discouraged newbie...

Plasma iamplasma at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 4 04:01:04 CST 2001

Mike Sowka <msowka at doe.carleton.ca> wrote in message news:<3BE2F6A2.4020708 at doe.carleton.ca>...

> Plasma: yeah Drive X worked great...

Thanks, though it doesn't have to be drive X, I just meant that as an
illustration.  It can be any drive letter you like.

> BUT NOW:
>
> when trying to rund Counter-Strike under regular wine... when I double
> click on a server it says I dont' have the cstrike custom game
> installed!!!! I do... ofcourse.
Firstly, go to http://lhl.linuxgames.com and read their HOWTO on
Halflife under Linux.  They also have a good message board for HL
related problems in WINE.  I believe that some cstrike problems can be
solved by using the command line:
"wine hl.exe -- hl.exe --console --game cstrike"

Basically, when running CS under WINE, you should definitely load the
game with the counterstrike option, and not change to a custom game
while running the program.  However, I can't guarantee that this will
fix your problem.

> trying winex the whole thing crashed when I try to start a game... even when I try to go into a console.. :(

WineX probably won't make a big difference.  Its big drawcard is its
DirectX support, which doesn't have much effect on loading a cs game,
especially so if you use OpenGL, leaving DirectX to handle little more
than sound and input.

Lastly, keep trying, and keep experimenting.  I only just got HL
working under WINE, and it runs great.  The thing is, I don't have any
idea what I've done to get it to work so well, so just keep messing
around, and even try reinstalling WINE, as it just might work.