Newbie needs help in installing Wine

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Wed Nov 7 16:34:28 CST 2001

On 7 Nov 2001, Arvin wrote:

> Hi!
> Part 1 follow-up
> Follow-up question for the one above. What entry should I place in
> /etc/fstab for /c ? I tried the following (taking the same format from
> my floppy), but it doesn't work:
>
> /dev/hda1            /c         auto    noauto,owner     0 0

How do you mean it doesn't work?  "mount -a"  fails with that line?  Or
wineinstall still doesn't find your windose?  It won't.  It looks for a
fstype of "msdos" or "vfat" as a clue.  When it was written, I guess
"auto" wasn't an fstype.  If it is vfat, call it vfat.  wineinstall
wants to help you, but you have to help it out on the hard parts.

/dev/hda1            /c         vfat    noauto,owner     0 0

> Part 2
> I tried to run winecheck (with scenario as above) and got a 99.5%
> correctness score (after some modifications on  ~/.wine/config/).
> There's one entry that is SUSPICIOUS
>
> Here's the message I got -
> 002. Checking for correct .so lib config (please wait)...   SUSPICIOUS
> (libwine.so found 3 times: /usr/local/libwine.so
> /home/wine-20011004/library/libwine.so /home/wine-20011004/libwine.so
> - ADVICE: check whether this is really ok.
>
> Question-
> Need I be concerned about this?

I don't think so.  If your source is really in /home/wine-20011004, it
is normal.  It is an odd place to put source, but mine is in
/oof/Wine-20011004, so I won't say too much.  I hope
/usr/local/libwine.so is a typo.  It should install into

/usr/local/lib/liwine.so

> Part 3
>   I tried to run mspaint, closed it, run it again, and its okay. But I
> tried to run Notepad and it launces the first time around. (wine
> -winver win 95 /c/wordpad.exe), but when I try to close and then
> relaunch it, it cannot anymore. I also tried to killall wine before I
> restarted notepad.exe, but same results

Don't know about this.

Lawson
---oof---