Newbie needs help in installing Wine

Arvin arvsreyes at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 22:55:13 CST 2001

lawson_whitney at juno.com wrote in message news:<20011107.173743.134648712.0.lawson_whitney at juno.com>...
> On 7 Nov 2001, Arvin wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > Part 1 follow-up
> > Follow-up question for the one above. What entry should I place in
> > /etc/fstab for /c ? I tried the following (taking the same format from
> > my floppy), but it doesn't work:
> >
> > /dev/hda1            /c         auto    noauto,owner     0 0
>
> How do you mean it doesn't work?  "mount -a"  fails with that line?  Or
> wineinstall still doesn't find your windose?  It won't.  It looks for a
> fstype of "msdos" or "vfat" as a clue.  When it was written, I guess
> "auto" wasn't an fstype.  If it is vfat, call it vfat.  wineinstall
> wants to help you, but you have to help it out on the hard parts.
>
> /dev/hda1            /c         vfat    noauto,owner     0 0

Part 1 follow up 2
Thanks. wineinstall can find Windows on the system now.

But Windows real registry cannot be found.

Here's the message:
 Checking for Real Windows registry...
 Not found, default Wine registry will be installed.

 Compiling regapi...
 rm -f regapi && ln -s ../../wine regapi

 Preparing to install default Wine registry entries...
 Installing default Wine registry entries...

 Warning: could not find wine config [Drive x] entry for current
working  directory /home/wine-20011004; starting in windows directory
 Warning: home/wine-20011004/programs/regapi/regapi not accessible for
a configured DOS drive
 Warning: home/wine-20011004/programs/regapi/regapi not accessible for
a configured DOS drive
 Warning: home/wine-20011004/programs/regapi/regapi not accessible for
a configured DOS drive

 Registry entries successfully installed.
 Linking root's user registry hive to the global registry...

Install ation complete for now...(snip) are explained there.

Question: How do I make wineinstall find real Windows registry

> > Part 2
> > I tried to run winecheck (with scenario as above) and got a 99.5%
> > correctness score (after some modifications on  ~/.wine/config/).
> > There's one entry that is SUSPICIOUS
> >
> > Here's the message I got -
> > 002. Checking for correct .so lib config (please wait)...   SUSPICIOUS
> > (libwine.so found 3 times: /usr/local/libwine.so
> > /home/wine-20011004/library/libwine.so /home/wine-20011004/libwine.so
> > - ADVICE: check whether this is really ok.
> >
> > Question-
> > Need I be concerned about this?
> >
> I don't think so.  If your source is really in /home/wine-20011004, it
> is normal.  It is an odd place to put source, but mine is in
> /oof/Wine-20011004, so I won't say too much.  I hope
> /usr/local/libwine.so is a typo.  It should install into
>
> /usr/local/lib/liwine.so

Part 2 follow up 1
It's a typo (how do you make a copy and paste from the Gnome terminal
anyway? I'm using RH 7.1). It's supposed to be
/usr/local/lib/liwine.so.

So I guess I'll ignore this SUSPICIOUS message.

Also, you mentioned "place to put the source" Is there a "recommended"
way of placing these sources? Sorry if this seems like a basic
question.

> > Part 3
> >   I tried to run mspaint, closed it, run it again, and its okay. But I
> > tried to run Notepad and it launces the first time around. (wine
> > -winver win 95 /c/wordpad.exe), but when I try to close and then
> > relaunch it, it cannot anymore. I also tried to killall wine before I
> > restarted notepad.exe, but same results
>
> Don't know about this.

part 3 follow up 2
anytakers? Please see log above