trying to create a WinNT rescue disk

Jim Morash jmorash at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 8 21:43:58 CST 2001

> I don't know it it will help, but do you use a --winver?  If you
> don't, Wine will tell the app it is win95.  This may encourage the app
> to misbehave.  I'd try --winver nt40, --winver nt351, and maybe even
> --winver win31.  Maybe exporting the NT registry and feeding it to
> <wine>/programs/regapi would help too.  I don't know if regedit.exe or
> whatever works in wine, though.

I've tried --winver, and it doesn't seem to have any effect... oh
well. I'm not sure how to go about exporting the registry, but
presumably I can look this up in the wine docs somewhere, I'll have a
look.

> You don't say how you came by the broken NT bootloader.  Did you install
> lilo into the MBR?  I think there is a hidden NT install option to make
> it install its bootloader into the partition boot sector where lilo (or
> grub) can chain boot it, but by default part of the NT loader goes in
> the MBR.  I don't know this first hand, I used wfw 3.11 for a while
> until I got juno working with Wine-970914 then gradually wfw
> 3.11 atrophied from 2 little vfat partitions to a tar.gz.

It looks like that's what happened (lilo overwriting the MBR), but I'm
not really sure that's it, because the bootloader does run, it just
crashes. I currently have grub chainloading the NT bootloader, and I can
choose NT from a menu, NT begins booting, then BSOD.

I inherited this machine from someone else, have had to reinstall linux
because this person failed to install security patches and it got
hacked, and while reinstalling discovered an NTFS partiton that hadn't
been touched in ages... presumably because it wouldn't boot... but a
dual boot would be nice to have, and I have the login/password
necesssary to get into NT if I can get it running. I would just
reinstall but - well it's a long story but it's not a good option right
now.

I guess really what I'm most interested in is why rdisk.exe can't see
the floppy drive, which is why I'm bugging the wine list/group at all :)

thanks
--Jim
jmorash at mit.edu