getting windows help files to display

gerard patel g.patel at wanadoo.fr.invalid
Sat Nov 10 01:36:55 CST 2001

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 05:10:03 GMT, "F. James Rohlf"
<rohlf at life.bio.sunysb.edu> wrote:

>I can run my programs with no problems but the help files do not display.
>Is there some trick?
>
>I am running RH 7.2 with wine installed using the rpm that came with it.

There is no trick, help file support is not great in
Wine. There are mostly 2 kind of help system in Windows:

- the old system (.hlp files) : Wine support is poor; if you
don't have a copy of Windows you can forget about it since
no Wine utility can display a 32 bit .hlp file.
Winhelp (the Window utility) can run under Wine but I think
that calling Winhelp from the application does not work right
now (I may be wrong since the moment where it could work
seemed near to me a month ago at least - I did not check
again since)

- the new system (.htm files I think, that is, html files) : I have
no idea about it but my guess is that it is not working too.
Maybe reading the html files could be possible using a standard
browser.

Gerard