Compile errors with FreeBSD 5.0

Steven G. Kargl kargls at home.com
Mon Nov 12 13:48:03 CST 2001

In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0111082006570.2454-100000 at mizar.ping.uio.no>,
	Ove Kaaven <ovehk at ping.uio.no> writes:

>> Jan Stocker <Jan.Stocker at hb.materna.de> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > the current version of FreeBSD (5.0) has a common header which defines
>> > struct thread, so there will be an redefinition and nothing works. I
>> > think you shall rename your stuff from thread.h to something like wine_thread
>> > to get out of this trouble.
>
> I'd rather say that the problem is FreeBSD. System headers should not
> pollute the namespace of applicatio. The glibc headers take great care to
> avoid polluting the namespace, but FreeBSD is starting to look like it
> thinks that it can define any common name, and if there's a collision
> because of that carelessness, they tell all the apps to rename their
> symbols, instead of fixing the OS.

Can you elaborate?  The application is pulling in the system
header sys/proc.h where struct thread is defined.  If an
application purposely pulls in a system header file, how can
the system header pollute the namespace of the application
when the applications requests the information in that header?

--
Steve