Good free Web Graphics Progmans

Daeron daeronREMOVE at THISfandom.net
Tue Nov 13 06:53:38 CST 2001

Rudolf Polzer wrote:
> Daeron <daeronREMOVE at THISfandom.net> wrote:
>>  Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
>> > gimp and xfig are linux native.  You're right gimp has a windows
>> > version.
>> >
>>   Does Gimp have a animated Gif engine that allows you to spin, rotate,
>>  srink, grow, fade, picture elements? No.
> PSP cannot do this, too - it has to be done with animation shop pro.
 Embellish does.

>>   Does Gimp provide an interactive quality display of save-as functions?
>>   No.
> It does. Save as JPEG and you'll see.

 Save a Jpeg in Embellish and you'll see what I mean
  - in Gimp by moving windows around and using your photographic memory you
sort of get the same tool as Embellish offers.

>>   Does Gimp support YMC colour seperation and tiff format as required by
>>  most traditional print houses? No.
>
> There's convert.
 convert. vt. apply to another purpose; change; transform; cause to adopt
(another) religion, opinion; Rugby - make a conversion
 -n. converted person.

>>   Does Gimp provide image details & conversion options in its file menu?
>>   No.
> There's convert.
 Use the file:open dialogue & experiment with the options & pop-up windows
in the different parts of the window to see what I mean.

>>   Does Gimp have a directory thumnail creation function? I don't think
>>   so.
>
> It does. Or do you mean printing a thumbnail index? Then a simple
> perl script that uses convert will do.

 Using two more programs and writing scripts each time.
 Embellish provides it complete with interactive options on matrix &
thumbnail sizea, fonts, etc. And it's one of the extra file optons avilable.

>>   So I was just wondering if anyone knew of some other worthwhile apps
>>   that together might help fill some of the holes Gimp etc. leave.

 If you're interested in graphics, I think you should have a look at
Embellish, run it on either an OS/2 or a MS-Windows platform.
 It is quite a worthwhile little app, I just wish Wine could run it
properly.