Good free Web Graphics Progmans

Craig Chandler craig.chandler at interdynamics.com
Tue Nov 13 16:48:53 CST 2001

> Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
> > gimp and xfig are linux native.  You're right gimp has a
> windows version.
> >
>  Does Gimp have a animated Gif engine that allows you to spin, rotate,
> srink, grow, fade, picture elements? No.
>  Does Gimp provide an interactive quality display of save-as
> functions? No.
>  Does Gimp support YMC colour seperation and tiff format as required by
> most traditional print houses? No.
>  Does Gimp provide image details & conversion options in its file
> menu? No.
>  Does Gimp have a directory thumnail creation function? I don't think so.
>
>  So there are five functions Gimp doesn't provide but which are
> availabe in
> a free Windows & OS/2 program. The app I'm comparing it to is very nice,
> but because the pro-Microsoft ISVs had a competitive (& inferior)
> product,
> all the computer magazine publishers kept deep sixing every
> advert for the
> product. Eventually the author had to give up - which was
> criminal because
> he was an excellent UI designer, coder, and just had wonderful ideas on
> what to do with a new graphics app.
>  There simply is *no* "Linux" (Open Source) app that does what it does.
>  But Wine is still buggy & offsets the window positions - and is doing
> something a bit strange in the menus.
>  So I was just wondering if anyone knew of some other worthwhile
> apps that
> together might help fill some of the holes Gimp etc. leave.

ahh so now we get down to it, you already have an ideal program, but it
doesn't work to well under wine. Now were getting back to what this list is
about. You could post some debug info to the development group. As for other
apps maybe try comp.graphics.apps or something along those lines, i'm
guessing people there may have more idea of whats around.