Most apps fail

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Nov 15 09:18:12 CST 2001

I have just tried out a series of apps on Wine Linux Slackware 8.0 on
one side, Win98 on the other. Most fail. Here is a list:

Cindex (indexing program)
SKY index (indexing program)
Framemaker (typesetting program)
Quark Xpress (typesetting program.)

Let me take the last item as a simple example. I get a long list of
messages as follows:
bash-2.05# wine QuarkXPress.exe
FIXME:pthread_rwlock_rdlock
FIXME:pthread_rwlock_unlock
Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
fixme:accel:CreateAcceleratorTableA should check that the accelerator
descriptions are valid, return NULL and SetLastError() if not.
Warning: /usr/local/bin/winedbg.exe not accessible from a configured
DOS drive
Warning: /usr/local/bin/winedbg not accessible from a configured DOS
drive
Warning: /usr/local/bin/winedbg 134638576.exe not accessible from a
configured DOS drive
Warning: /usr/local/bin/winedbg 134638576 not accessible from a
configured DOS drive
Warning: /usr/local/bin/winedbg 134638576 212.exe not accessible from
a configured DOS drive
Warning: /usr/local/bin/winedbg 134638576 212 not accessible from a
configured DOS drive
err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger (/usr/local/bin/winedbg
134638576 212) (2)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another
debugger
Of course there is no document titled ``Wine Developers Guide'' on my
system as far as I can tell. Perhaps it has another title.

/usr/local/bin/winedbg is a link to /usr/local/bin/wine, and
executable.

This was a short list. The list from some programs is much longer.

I am asking two questions.

1. How do I identify (from the messages) a program that is likely
never to run under Wine?
2. How do I eliminate the debug-specific messages such as all those
above?

John Culleton