Lotus Notes R5, bad class name error

Richard W. Knight rick at rlknight.com
Fri Nov 16 14:43:42 CST 2001

Tim Lavoie wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've just installed Lotus Notes 5.0.8 client on my system with wine,
>on a Debian Linux (unstable dist) system.
>
>The wine package installed is the 20011112 version, from the CVS build
>deb package.
>
>I'm running c:/Lotus/Notes/nlnotes.exe, and my Wine desktop comes up
>with the Notes Workspace and a client configuration dialog with active
>"Next" and "Cancel" buttons. However, the buttons don't appear to do
>anything, other than look pushed in.
>
>In terms of console output, I get a bunch of these:
>
>  FIXME:pthread_rwlock_rdlock
>
>and one of these:
>
>  err:win:CreateWindowExA bad class name "WC_IRIS_GROUPSHADE"
>

>Any ideas? Suggestions are more than welcome.
>
>    Thanks,
>    Tim

Tim, Gerard;

Something is very broken in Wine versions 20010731 and later including
the Trangaming versions. The only way I have been able to get Lotus
Notes to work properly is to install and configure it under
Wine-20010629. Under the 20010629 verion EVERYTHING seems to work. After
installing Notes, I switched back to the Transgaming cvs (20011004) and
Notes still works except that certain buttons stop functioning. None of
the setings tools can be used so the basic installation of Notes cannot
be changed but with everything allready configured this may not be too
much of a problem.

Gerard, how can I pin down what has been changed between 20010629 and
20010731 that is causing this problem with Notes and, probably other
apps thatt I just don't happen to need?

--
Rick Knight
(rick at rlknight.com)