Starcraft and Wine - Graphics Problems

Ove Kaaven ovehk at ping.uio.no
Sun Nov 18 04:39:29 CST 2001

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Colvin wrote:

> When I had it working I was using a script to start a second X server in
> 640x480x8bpp, spawn an xterm and ultimately starcraft.  It worked great.
> I'm trying the same thing now, but all I can get is starcraft to load with
> a mostly black screen and a few white pixels where the menu animations
> are.

Wine's new ddraw code does not function too well when the X server is run
in 8bpp mode (unless you use DGA). It's a limitation of the restructured
code (ddraw no longer access X11 directly, but rather goes through GDI,
and GDI restricts access to the physical palette). If you run X in e.g.
16bpp mode, color conversion will take effect (if you don't use DGA), and
it should look fine then.

It's probably possible to improve the X11DRV HAL code to handle the
non-DGA case better so that you could run the X server in 8bpp mode and
have it work, but it has not been worth it - who runs X in 8bpp nowadays
anyway?