Starcraft install problem

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Wed Nov 21 14:07:13 CST 2001

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Troy Brand wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have wine (20010822) installed on a Linux Redhat 7.2 box and would like to
> install Starcraft.  When I execute the Starcraft install binary I get a pop
> up window with an error of "no program start menu found".  At the LinuxGames
> site (http://www.linuxgames.com/starcraft.php3) there is a HOWTO which
> addresses this problem, it reads as follows:

> Rob Latham sent an email laying out the following fix for the "no program
> start menu found" problem. This text is taken directly from the email:
> Solution: edit ${HOME}/.wine/user.reg and put the "Programs" key there
>  yourself. As I see it (please correct me if I'm wrong), the wine
>  versions of the registry are plain text files, with tabs to delimit the
>  tree hierarchy of the windows registry. I added a branch to the
>  "Software" trunk by adding these six lines (using actual tabs for "\t",
>  but you get the idea)
>
>  \tMicrosoft
>  \t\tWindows
>  \t\t\tCurrentVersion
>  \t\t\t\tExplorer
>  \t\t\t\t\tShell Folders
>  \t\t\t\t\t\tPrograms=1,1,C:\\WINDOWS\\Start Menu\\Programs
>
>  Why the "1,1," before the path? I don't know, but wine's registry
>  parser looks for two commas and then the path after the key name.
>
> I tried to apply this fix but it didn't seem work.  What I did was add these
> six lines to my user.reg file replacing the \t with actual tabs.  Can anyone
> tell me how to fix this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Troy

That is not the format of ~/.wine/user.reg, I think.  Anything you write
about wine internals is obsolete as soon as you write it, because
somebody is working to improve them while you are writing.

Anyway, all that explorer junk has been in <wine>/winedefault.reg for
some time.  They were included in Wine-990426 AFAICT.  Use regapi to
install your default registry:

regapi setValue -- -force <winedefault.reg

you might need to use rpm to find them:

rpm -ql wine |grep winedefault
rpm -ql wine |grep regapi

If they are not included in the rpm, I am sorry, IMO ii is an
incompetent rpm.  Complain to RedHat.  Tell 'em I sent you.  They have
no idea who I am, but I did send them a patch to fix a bug in their PAM
code for xdm some releases back.

Anyway, you are free to get the source and brew your own
wine.  Uninstall the rpm please before attempting to install wine brewed
from the source, and add a line /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf.
Don't forget to build and install regapi (in <wine>/programs).

I can mail you a copy of the current winedefault.reg, or you can pick
one up at winehq.com, but I don't think I can build a regapi that will
work with your rpm without putting myself to more trouble than it is
worth.

Lawson

By the accident of what statisticians call birth... - Richard Fariña