WINE ASPI support and my Polaroid SprintScan 35 Plus

Mark A. Haun markhaun at uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 22 14:56:38 CST 2001

Mark A. Haun wrote:

> Aha!  It almost works now.  I created the dummy file, and now it
> proceeds to load the builtin ASPI library and scan the SCSI bus.  It is
> failing to find the scanner, however.  I get these lines in
> /var/log/messages each time:
>
> Nov 22 11:48:57 angwin kernel: sym53c875-0-<4,0>: extraneous data
> discarded.
> Nov 22 11:48:57 angwin kernel: sym53c875-0-<4,0>: COMMAND FAILED (89 0)
> @c7f8e00
[...]

Ok, I tried a couple of approaches to resolving this problem (again,
using WINE 20011108).  No luck with any of them, but I think I know more
now than I did before.

1)  I tried upgrading to kernel 2.4.14, with its new SCSI generic code.
  No change there.

2)  I then patched the kernel with the [beta] version 2 of the sym53x8xx
(Symbios) SCSI driver.  Still no success, but the logging is perhaps a
bit more useful.  Here's what appears in /var/log/messages every time I
attempt to run the SprintScan Direct software:

Nov 22 14:38:11 angwin kernel: sym0:4:0:phase change 6-7 6 at 012d0f84 resid=4.
Nov 22 14:38:11 angwin kernel: sym0:4:0:extraneous data discarded.
Nov 22 14:38:11 angwin kernel: sym0:4:0:COMMAND FAILED (87 0 1).

Actually, the first line only came up the first time I ran wine;
subsequent tries repeat the last two lines.

The wine log (with --debugmsg +aspi) looks like this:

trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry   Vendor: IBM      Model: DCAS-34330W
   Rev: S65A
trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry   Type:   Direct-Access
   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry   Vendor: POLAROID Model: 35MM
   Rev: 5.94
trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry   Type:   Scanner
   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
trace:aspi:GetASPISupportInfo16 GETASPISupportInfo16
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd {
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   EVPD: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   LUN: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   PAGE CODE: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   ALLOCATION LENGTH: 36
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   CONTROL: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd }
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Host Adapter: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Flags: 0
warn:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd    Transfer by scsi cmd. Length not checked
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Residual byte length reporting disabled
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Linking disabled
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Posting disabled
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Target: 4
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Lun: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd BufLen: 36
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd SenseLen: 18
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd BufPtr: 3e70000 (0x403b15bc)
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd LinkPointer 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd CDB Length: 6
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd POST Proc: 0
CDB buffer[12,00,00,00,24,00]
trace:aspi:ASPI_OpenDevice16 Opening device
Software\Wine\Wine\Config\scsi c0t4d0=/dev/sg1
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintResult Vendor: '/'
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd {
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   EVPD: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   LUN: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   PAGE CODE: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   ALLOCATION LENGTH: 36
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   CONTROL: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd }
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Host Adapter: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Flags: 0
warn:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd    Transfer by scsi cmd. Length not checked
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Residual byte length reporting disabled
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Linking disabled
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Posting disabled
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Target: 5
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Lun: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd BufLen: 36
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd SenseLen: 18
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd BufPtr: 3e70000 (0x403b15bc)
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd LinkPointer 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd CDB Length: 6
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd POST Proc: 0
CDB buffer[12,00,00,00,24,00]
trace:aspi:ASPI_OpenDevice16 Trying to open unlisted scsi device
Software\Wine\Wine\Config\scsi c0t5d0

...and it proceeds to scan all the other SCSI ID's as well (it should
have detected the scanner at ID #4, then stopped).

---

Ok, conclusions:  With every configuration that I have tried, the
scanner works fine using VueScan, a shareware Linux application that
supports some features of my scanner.  No errors appear in the log file
as the scanner is operated.  Thus, the problem has to reside in the WINE
ASPI support.  This looks like something for one of the WINE ASPI-gurus
to look at---I don't know what the debug messages are saying.

Mark

---
Mark Haun
markhaun at uiuc.edu