err:module:BUILTIN32_dlopen failed to load .so lib for builtin x11drv.dll

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Mon Nov 26 20:31:24 CST 2001

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Stian Eikeland wrote:

> I get the following error with the newest cvs wine:
>
> guezzwho at guezzwho:/c/windows > wine notepad.exe
> err:module:BUILTIN32_dlopen failed to load .so lib for builtin x11drv.dll:
> undefined symbol: XF86VidModeSetGammaRamp Could not load graphics driver
> 'x11drv' err:win:GetDesktopWindow You need the -desktop option when
> running with native USER
>
> Older wine / winex releases work just fine, but not the newest..
> Any ideas about what's causing this ?

What do you mean, latest CVS?  Not one you built from source, I think.
That reference was added in the Wine-20011108 ftp release, but it is
#ifdef'd
so if ./configure doesn't find it - I guess it is an X extension -
Wine compiles without it.  I _think_ you are trying to use a Wine built
to use features you don't have, and you can fix it by upgrading to an X
with all the latest X extensions, or by building Wine yourself, or by
being more careful which prebuilt package you choose.

Lawson

ICBW, of course, IC always BW.