Does Wine leave a Zombie-Thread behind?

Bill Medland medbi01_1 at accpac.com
Thu Nov 29 09:05:59 CST 2001

"Axel Braun" <doc_braun at web.de> wrote in message
news:3c061cae at netnews.web.de...
> Hi all,
>

> I'm quite new to Wine, so sorry if this question was discussed before.
>

> I installed Wine to have Lotus Notes running on my Linux-Box (SuSE 7.2). I
use
> to start it via a desktop shortcut. After closing Notes I still find a
wine
> process running. If I start it from the command line, I also have to kill
the
> process after Notes is finished (CRTL-C).
>

> Is this a bug or a feature? Any workarounds?
>

> Cheers
> Axel
> --

Sounds like a bug.

Personally I have a script, killwine, in my path for tidying such things up;
it kills wine, winedebug and wineserver and then deletes the socket.  Very
heavy-handed but I get to use it every couple of days.

(Actually wine does create a zombie; the wineserver.  I found that part of
the code quite fascinating coming from a DOS background.  However the
wineserver should normally terminate itself once all the wine processes
disappear)

Bill