System DLLs

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Thu Nov 29 18:30:36 CST 2001

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Quentin wrote:

> Thank you or your very informative post.  I will update my .wine/config
> right away!
>
> :)
> Quentin.

.wine/config doesn't have anything to say about _where_ the builtins
are.  In case you need help with that, the core wine "dll"'s,
libwine.so, libwine_unicode.so, and libntdll.so, are implicitly loaded
by wine using the dynamic linker, and must be in a directory known to
the dynamic linker, that is, one named in environment
variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH or named in /etc/ld.so.conf.  The System
Administrator should run /sbin/ldconfig after it makes any change to
/etc/ld.so.conf.  Wine will look for other builtin dll's in those
places, and also in any directories named in WINEDLLPATH.
/lib and /usr/lib are usually known to the dynamic linker on its own
initiative, whether they are named anywhere or not.

If you make a dll from source using winemaker, it is a wine builtin dll,
I think.

Proponents of other unices, please pardon any linuxisms committed
above and feel free to contribute a section on how to care for and feed
the dynamic linker for your *nix.

Lawson
---oof---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!