glibcc < 2.2 how do I tell?

Skylar Thompson skylar at utumno.attglobal.net
Tue Oct 2 04:37:40 CDT 2001

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:32:01 -0700, bentley423 <bentley423NOSpam at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm looking over the Wine documentation, and it says that the particular
>version that looks like it will work with my version of RedHat 7.1 will
>only work if the glibcc is 2.2 or above.  How do I tell?  I"m a newbie and
>not sure exactly what the glibcc is.

Use rpm(1): rpm -q glibc or rpm -qi glibc (for more information).

As for what it does, its RPM carries this description:

"The glibc package contains standard libraries which are used by
multiple programs on the system. In order to save disk space and
memory, as well as to make upgrading easier, common system code is
kept in one place and shared between programs. This particular package
contains the most important sets of shared libraries: the standard C
library and the standard math library. Without these two libraries, a
Linux system will not function."

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at attglobal.net)

P(4.2.2) + "Skylar DXLIX" DMPo L:36 DL:2500' A++ R+++ Sp w:Stormbringer
A(JLE)*/P*/Z/J64/Ad L/O H+ D+ c f-/f PV+ s TT- d++/d+ P++ M/M+
C- S++ I+/I++ So B+ ac GHB++ SQ++ RQ+ V+ F:JLE F: Possessors strong again