Tried a different tack ....

Phil Stracchino alaric at babcom.com
Thu Oct 4 15:49:56 CDT 2001

I installed the latest Codeweavers preview build (binary RPM, ugh!), and
the DeskTopWindow error I was experiencing building from cvs is gone.  All
the font fixme warnings (which had, at one point, gone away) are back, and
I'm back to the previous error I was getting before DeskTopWindow:

babylon5:alaric:~:46 $ wine --debugmsg fixme-font d:\\install.exe
Invoking /opt/wine/bin/wine.bin --debugmsg fixme-font d:\install.exe ...
/usr/bin/wine: mktemp: command not found
/usr/bin/wine: mktemp: command not found
Building font metrics. This may take some time...
err:seh:UnhandledExceptionFilter Couldn't start debugger (debugger/winedbg
134631352 32) (2)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another
debugger
Wine failed with return code 3
babylon5:alaric:~:47 $

....But I don't WANT wine to start the debugger.  As far as I can tell,
Wine is now croaking because it's unable to start a debugger that I never
told it to start in the first place.

/opt/wine/bin/winedbg is a symlink to wine.
there is no /opt/wine/bin/wine.
/usr/bin/wine is a symlink to /opt/wine/bin/winelauncher.

I've tried making /opt/wine/bin/winedbg point at
/opt/wine/bin/winelauncher instead of just dangling.  It didn't work.
I've also tried moving the /opt/wine/bin/winedbg symlink altogether.
Still no effect.  Finally I discovered that when I click winelauncher's
debug button, it launches wine.bin, so I hardlinked /opt/wine/bin/winedbg
to /opt/wine/bin/wine.bin.

Now, when I click the debug button, I get this message in the winelauncher
window:

Invoking /opt/wine/bin/wine.bin -debugmsg warn+all --debugmsg fixme-font
d:\install.exe ...

and this eventually ends up with:

warn:dialog:MessageBoxA Messagebox
warn:win:WIN_CreateWindowEx Bad class '#'
warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName 'debugger/winedbg.exe' not found in
'/home/alaric'
warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName 'debugger/winedbg' not found in
'/home/alaric'
warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName 'debugger/winedbg 134631352.exe' not found
in '/home/alaric'
warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName 'debugger/winedbg 134631352' not found in
'/home/alaric'
warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName 'debugger/winedbg 134631352 32.exe' not
found in '/home/alaric'
warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName 'debugger/winedbg 134631352 32' not found in
'/home/alaric'
err:seh:UnhandledExceptionFilter Couldn't start debugger (debugger/winedbg
134631352 32) (2)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another
debugger
Wine failed with return code 3

So, I symlinked /opt/wine/bin/winedbg as /home/alaric/debugger/winedbg
(I'm trying everything I can think of here to make it happy).  This threw
wine into an endless loop ....

babylon5:alaric:~:67 $ wine --debugmsg fixme-font d:\\install.exe
Invoking /opt/wine/bin/wine.bin --debugmsg fixme-font d:\install.exe ...
/usr/bin/wine: mktemp: command not found
/usr/bin/wine: mktemp: command not found
Building font metrics. This may take some time...
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
Building font metrics. This may take some time...
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
Building font metrics. This may take some time...
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
Building font metrics. This may take some time...
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
Building font metrics. This may take some time...
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
Building font metrics. This may take some time...

Is there some way I can tell wine, "Look, DON'T START any damn debugger,
just tell me what failed"?  Right now, the only thing all this wrestling
with the debugger is achieving is to hide the actual reason why it's
trying to start the debugger.  If I knew why it was trying to start the
debugger, I might stand a snowball's chance in hell of fixing the problem.

--
  *********  Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk.  *********
  phil stracchino   ::   alaric at babcom.com   ::   halmayne at sourceforge.net
    unix ronin     ::::   renaissance man   ::::   mystic zen biker geek
     2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)
       Linux Now! ...because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.