Low speed of running win-application under Wine

Andrey Simonenko simon at comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua
Tue Oct 9 09:51:20 CDT 2001

Craig Ringer <craig at nospam.postnewspapers.nobotstothisaddressdelme.com.au> wrote
in message
news:3BBDF571.1070701 at nospam.postnewspapers.nobotstothisaddressdelme.com.au...
> Andrey Simonenko wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > It is normal that Windows applications run _very_ slow
> > under Wine? I'm talking about simple application, like
> > notepad, winmine.
> >

> I've been able to run some pretty serious stuff (games inc Diablo II,
> Homeworld Cataclysm, Counter-Strike, bits of MS Office 2000 etc) at
> reasonable and useable speeds sometimes almost comprable to native win32
> execution. So its not a general wine thing... unless your definition of
> "slow" is like some of the users I admin for here at work :-/

[skip]

> My system is an AMD Duron 650 running linux-2.4.10 && XFree86-4.1.0 with
> debian(sid) and 300+ mb RAM so its not exactly overpowered and yet most
> things run genuinely fast under wine.
> I hate to suggest this (no flame pls) but _JUST FOR TESTING_ have you
> tried it under linux on the same machine (perhaps its trying to do
> something odd with /proc??). I don't know BSD so PLEASE don't kill me if
> this is nonsense!

The probles is in XFree86-4.1.1 and its Riva TNT driver, which doesn't work on
my Riva TNT2, even KDE-2.2.1 works very slowly on this system.

I installed KDE-2.2.1 and Wine (last release) on another one my computer with
already installed XFree86-3.3.6, which is much more slowly (Celeron 300A, 128M
of RAM and video ATI 4M 3D-smth.) and KDE2 and Windows applications under
Wine work in speed as I expected.

I managed to run just very simple applications under Wine (NotePad, WinWord,
WinMine) and everythig work, I have some problems with russian fonts in windows
applications' menus, but it isn't very big problem for now.

Currently I don't know at all how to enable sound in Windows applications.
And currently I can't run complex games under Wine.

Thank you very much for your help, if it doen't take too much of your
time, please give URL with information about running complex games
under Wine or explaine in some words about running Counter Strike under
Wine.