parallel scanner support (general question)

Ilja Kamps ikarus at ikarus.ath.cx
Tue Oct 16 06:36:02 CDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 12:46:50PM +0200, Nils Ellendt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the Umax Astra 610p scanner (parallel port scanner).
> Unfortunately, it is not supported by sane as Umax is not publishing specs.
> Searching on google I found out that some people got it working using
> vmware but nobody could get it working with wine.
> That is surprising me because people seem to get lots of complicated
> windows applications working but not a small scanner application. Is the
> problem the way the scanner software accesses the parallel port or what is
> the problem?

I guess the problem is that wine doesn't emulate the api those drivers hook
into, those apps are usually access the parralel port not directly, but via
a driver and as you should already know wine can't yet run windows drivers
and is not expected to be able to with the current development planning.
I know some older scanners that access the hardware directly via the scanner
application so those could work if someone hacks some simpel direct parralel
port access.