parallel scanner support (general question)

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Oct 16 06:34:54 CDT 2001

Nils Ellendt <unemployable at sozialethisch-desorientiert.de> wrote:
: Hi,

: I'm using the Umax Astra 610p scanner (parallel port scanner).
: Unfortunately, it is not supported by sane as Umax is not publishing specs.
: Searching on google I found out that some people got it working using
: vmware but nobody could get it working with wine.
: That is surprising me because people seem to get lots of complicated
: windows applications working but not a small scanner application. Is the
: problem the way the scanner software accesses the parallel port or what is
: the problem?

Reading some old messages from that group woul have helped you.
If the scanner installs some VXD to do the hardware access, you are lost.
If your scanner runs with Win31, you can try to install and with proper
configured port access, it might work. So might do a NT40 driver.

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de