Netscape 4.77

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Wed Oct 17 22:23:06 CDT 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Peter Rundle wrote:

> I'm trying to install Netscape 4.78 into a "windoze free" wine
> installation. However when I run
>
>    wine --managed sd_cc32d478en.exe
>
> it runs the auto ftp fetch and then unpacks no problems but then
> it raises a dialog saying
>
>     Setup requires a different version of Windows. Check to make
>     sure that you are running Setup on the Windows platform for
>     which it is intended
>
>     Error 102.
>
> I'm running wine-cvs-unstripped-101701-1. I can't see anything in
> the .config file that allows me to set the "version" of windows,
> except the wine-look which is not it. I have had some success with

You are looking in the wrong place.
wine
Wine release 20011004

Usage: wine [options] [--] program_name [arguments]
The -- has to be used if you specify arguments (of the program)

   --winver         Version to imitate (win95,nt40,win31,nt2k,win98,nt351,win30,win20)

> installing Netscape in the past (with wine builds prior to June 2001)

At some time in the history of Wine, the default --winver was win31.
It is now win95, I think.

osversioncheck
MajorVersion: 4
MinorVersion: 0
BuildNumber: 0x40003b6
Platform: Win32 on Windows 95 or Windows 98
CSDVersion: 'Win95'

Yep.

> Is there something in "the registery"? Does anyone know how to work
> around this? I saw on the applications page that someone had got
> 4.77 to work but they didn't give many details.
>
> Also I get this error message sometimes when doing wine things,
>
>    "start_debugger Couldn't start debugger
>       (/usr/local/bin/winedbg 139684992 56) (2)
>        Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to
>        set up winedbg or another debugger"

That is odd.  That is where it normally lives in a from source default
installation, and not what is in winedefault.reg, so you or a program
you ran changed it.  /usr/local/bin/winedbg is normally a symbolic link
to the wine executable, and /usr/local/bin/winedbg.so is the debugger
itself.  If you or your setup uses winelauncher, the wine executable
might not be where you think it is.  winelauncher is sometimes installed
with the name wine, and the wine executable is somewhere else
(/opt/wine/bin/wine.bin, sometimes).  Try a ps xaf sometime when wine is
running and see what really rune.

> Ok, I'm searching the web site but can't find the doco, can anyone
> help out?
>
> TIA's
>
> Pete

<wine>/documentation/

#!/bin/sh
#<wine>/documentation/*.sgml reader (c) 2000- Lawson Whitney
# Use, distribute, or change at your own risk.
sed -e 's/<[^<>]*>//g' -e 's/&lt;/</g' -e 's/&gt;/>/g' $1 |less -ni

Lawson
---oops---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.