pc freezes when trying to load hl

TrEySiS treysis at gmx.net
Sat Oct 20 04:57:00 CDT 2001

"Daniel Sabo" <sorry at nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:7bc2.3bd0b99c.b23cd at wine2.winehq.com...
> In article <Hj4TQ3MWBHA.227 at fnews1.vi-internet.de>, "Tilman Jeske"
> <t_jeske at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > hi there,
> >
> > i read a lot here, but i didn't found any answer for my prolem:
> >
> > my system is mandake 8.0 final
> > i compiled the wine-20010305 using ./configure --enable-opengl
> > --prefix=/usr then used make and after that make install. everything
> > seems to work (i can run the hl-installer).
>
> Try 20010510 or the latest CVS (NOT the latest release though).

i downloaded 20010510 and compiled it, this time it was even harder to
install halflife because the installation window sometimes disappeared.

> > so, now, when i mount my cdrom and then do wine SETUP.EXE in the
> > cdrom-dir, first, the sierra logo appears and it goes up to 99% and
> > ending with an empty error. now i switch to the console window i started
> > SETUP.EXE with, press Ctrl+C and run wine SETUP.EXE again. now it goes
> > like it has to go (sound test works, installation completes without
> > hanging or an error).
> >
> > after everything finished, i changed to the hl directory (in my case
> > it's /usr/local/wine/games/hl/) and type
> > wine -desktop hl.exe -- hl.exe -console -windowed and then, when i press
> > enter, a black window appears and after i short time the monitor freezes
> > (can't move mouse or swtich to other windows using Alt-TAB) and nothing
> > works. i have to press the reset button. the console window reads,
> > before everything is hanging sometimes AVITIME still running! What
> > should I do?
>
> That's not the issue, but I does prove that something is running (it's an
> error about playing the logo in the HL main screen.)
>
> > or sometimes it ends up just with stub. what could that be?
> > which packages should be installed for compiling?????
>
> Are you sure OpenGL is set up right? Try it w/o -desktop and maybe with
> -managed.
> Save the output to a log file, wine -managed -- hl.exe -console -windowed
> log.

opengl works for sure: i am able to play tuxracer, unreal tournament,
quake3arena and return to castle wolfenstein mp test (all linux versions, no
wine needed...)
i forgot to write to log file, but i wrote down the last line that is
displayed after hanging (yes, it hangs too with this version you said me to
use):
fixme:ddraw:Main_DirectDraw_SetCooperativeLevel
(0x44960034)->(00000000,00000008)
maybe u now what to do...

thx in advance,
Tilman Jeske