Word and ppt viewers work with Wine???

Craig Ringer craig at nospam.postnewspapers.nobotstothisaddressdelme.com.au
Mon Oct 22 01:33:30 CDT 2001

Bart Symons wrote:

> Installation of the Microsoft Word viewer (97/2000) and Powerpoint viewer
> fail in the second dialog of the installation wizard.
> I'm using a Wine configuration (latest Codeweavers) without any original
> Windows DLLs.
>
> Does anyone have a working config with these two apps?

No. Wine will almost certainly run them once extracted, but I can't get
the f**ing thing (wordview) to install. I gather wine has issues with
the new "Microsoft Installer" or msi, and with new versions of
InstallShield as well.

I was able to extract the files from the self-extracting installer
archive with cabextract, but alas its not a program you seem to be able
to just ditch in a directory and run. Needs the installer.

I fear we may need to wait 'till the wine folks have got a handle on the
msi installation process.