basic question

gerard patel g.patel at
Mon Oct 22 19:58:41 CDT 2001

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:32:01 -0700, Peter Jay Salzman <p at>

>hi gerard,
>thanks for the reply!  at the risk of sounding ... juvenile, does your answer
>("depends largely on the app") change at all if i say "i'm mostly interested
>in running games"?

I'd say rather builtin for this (some people report that the presence
of directX files on the hard disk may be detected by some apps to
good effect - but it is likely that these files are not even
loaded by Wine).

FYI the WineX project is nearing its (commercial I'm afraid)

its goal is running windows games on Linux, based on
Wine of course. I understand that they include many
features that are not in Wine to make games run better
and faster.

(standard disclaimer : I have no link with transgaming...)