installing/running Monkey Island 3 and 4

Marcus Meissner marcus at
Wed Oct 24 12:07:42 CDT 2001

In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0110231748160.22855-100000 at>,
Rune Elvemo  <wine-users at> wrote:
>I have problems running Monkey Island 3 here. Installing it works fine,
>but the problems comes when trying to run it. When pressing "Play Game" (I
>think that's what the button says), the program just wants to install
>DirectX 5.0. I guess that trying to install it is NOT an option, when
>you're using wine.

When you are done installing, start 'comi.exe' directly, curse.exe is just
the wrapper program, with some broken DirectX presence checks.

>Second, installing Monkey Island 4 is not successful, because you have
>this insert cd#2 in the middle of it all, and I'm not able to change cd.
>Supermount is not an option here, since there is no patch for later 2.4.X
>kernels. So any other way to get around that?

This should be fixed in the current (todays) CVS snapshot, which should no
longer keep open files on removeable disks.

(Do not start Monkey.exe with a directory on the CD, but outside. Then you
 are able to unmount it and insert the second CD.)

I just installed MI4 this way ;)

Ciao, Marcus