first stabs at wine - need a bit of help

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Oct 26 13:17:37 CDT 2001

Hello all,

I'm using a Windows machine, navalle, to copy files to my Linux box, lucifer,
which will hopefully run Wine.  I'm keeping a careful log of exactly how I
install wine.  This is what i've done so far:

1. Let ~ = lucifer:/home/p/.wine/fake_windows
2. apt-get install wine-doc winesetuptk wine-utils wine wine-lib:

  ii  libwine        0.20011026.033 Windows Emulator (Library)
  pn  libwine-dev    <none>         (no description available)
  un  libwine0.0.971 <none>         (no description available)
  ii  wine           0.20011026.033 Windows Emulator (Binary Emulator)
  ii  wine-doc       0.20011026.033 Windows Emulator (Documentation)
  ii  wine-utils     0.20011026.033 Wine Emulator (Utilities)
  ii  winesetuptk    0.4.1b-3       Windows Emulator (Configuration and

3. Ran winesetup
4. navalle:/windows/system/*.dll        -> ~/Windows/System
5. navalle:/windows/*.dll               -> ~/Windows
6. navalle:/windows/command/*           -> ~/Windows/Command
7. navalle:/Program Files/Accessories/* -> ~/Windows/Program Files/Accessories
8. navalle:/windows/fonts/*             -> ~/Windows/fonts

Question 1
==========
I probably need the registry (system.dat and user.dat) and win.ini.

But these files on navalle reflect an old, running system.  There will be
lots of "stuff" that's wrong:  hardware on navalle which isn't on lucifer,
application dll's mentioned in the registery but missing since the app isn't
installed on lucifer, etc.

Is it really safe to copy the registry and win.ini to lucifer?

Question 2
==========
I guess I should ask if what I'm doing is "kosher".  Most of the
documentation I've read about "wine with windows" assumes that wine is
installed on a dual boot and can mount/use the Windows partition.  I'm simply
taking files off one machine and putting them on another machine.  Is this
a valid thing to do with wine?

Question 3
Wine segfaulted on mspaint.  :(  I searched the archives of wine-user and
found the pthread warnings (and some others) are non-fatal and not important.
Is there a way of telling Wine to surpress certain types of warnings?  It
would be nice to tell Wine to ixnay the pthread warnings so I don't have to
wade through the tons of output that debug generates.

Thanks!
Peter